1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sunday, May 21, 2017

[5.50/10] Alien: Covenant (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Quick Review: A contrived hybrid between "Alien" and "Prometheus", "Alien: Covenant" aims to bridge the franchise logically, but oddly, it feels both disjointed and reused instead, offering 'more of the same', but also revealing a sleazy explanation which contradicts the series' key concept, focusing mostly on the androids. All the Neo and Xenomorphs look badly CGI-y, the characters are dull, but at least there are moments of intense, gore-filled terror, and the imagery is stylish in its gloominess.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's about how I felt about it. Seen it before. And there were a couple key plot holes that were there just to further the story. (Really - who goes down to an unknown planet without a suit and mask?)
My wife noted that the aliens in Alien and Aliens, which were mostly guys in suits and animatronics, looked better.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Agreed. The thing I hated about it the most about it though was the cheap origin backstory -- it turned out the aliens are not actually aliens, but some virus-born species... how underwhelming is that?! This stupid reveal ruined the whole idea of the franchise for me. I was so pissed off by it.

Kaijinu said...

Yeah, uh, never seen this but I have a good reason for that: For me, Alien ended in Aliens, just as The Terminator ended in T2. All of the other sequels more or less just lost the spirit of the original and I just don't care all that much.

Same can be said for this reboot-sequel-prequel thingie...

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Good point, buddy. I agree to a certain extend. Don't waste your time with this one -- it was a complete and utter nonsense.