1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thursday, June 7, 2012

[9.25/10] Prometheus [3D] (2012) / [WE] (2017)


Prometheus [3D] (2012)
Update April 22, 2020: Prometheus [WE] (2017) - 9.25/10

Brief review: Scott's most talked-about movie in years, "Prometheus", can be considered a prequel to "Alien" as it's similar in style and has a last-minute connection with it, but it also works as a standalone piece, that deals with a completely different subject about discovering the origin of mankind. Even though "Prometheus" leaves more questions than it provides answers, it's still a constantly intriguing and quietly absorbing sci-fi horror with a taut, thoughtful and intelligent story, that grabs your interest and never lets go. There are some truly intense and frightening moments in it too, with the 'surgery' and 'engineer vs creature' scenes deserving a special mention. Even from the stunning opening sequence you could tell that "Prometheus" will be yet another strikingly-looking movie from Ridley Scott, who once again demonstrates his unique visual style and attention to detail. There's a certain sophistication about his direction, that makes the film gorgeous to look at, but in a subtle sort of way - the set design is imaginative, the cinematography is atmospheric, and the use of 3D is impressive. The cast is absolutely stellar. Noomi Rapace delivers an engaging performance as the clever and daring, yet fragile scientist, Elizabeth, Idris Elba is superb as the spaceship captain, Fassbender is perfectly-cast as the insensible android, and Ms. Theron draws the viewers' attention every time she shows up on screen.

Overall summary: Compelling, expertly-made and visually-stupendous, Ridley Scott's "Alien" prequel-esque "Prometheus" is an out-of-this-world cinematic experience, that lives up to the hype, thanks to the unlimited creativity and remarkable directing skills of its genius creator.

W.E. (2017): Revealing further key details thanks to the added unseen footage, the Workprint Edition is a further more complex, elaborate, and engrossing version of this prequel that's more than worth a look.

24 comments:

Erich Kuersten said...

Good to know, bro! I've heard various things but I trust the word of Beremov...

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Erich, wow, thank you so much for trusting my opinion on films, particularly this one.

I expected it to be an okay prequel, that tries not to be one, but it exceeded my expectations on every level.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's good to know as I am seeing it tomorrow!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, great, I hope you like it as much as I did. Don't expect another Alien. ;)

FilmMattic said...

Outstanding review, George! I'll be seeing Prometheus this weekend! It's comforting to know that such a valued connoisseur of films deems it worthwhile. I'm so glad it lives up to the hype.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thank you, Matty. I'm pretty sure it will be your cup of tea, simply because it's so refined and smart... just like yourself. :)

It does, and I'm happy to say it. :)

Maurice Mitchell said...

George, I'm sure we'll hear more about Noomi Rapace. I knew Ridley Scott would deliver the goods.
- Maurice Mitchell
The Geek Twins | Film Sketchr
@thegeektwins | @mauricem1972

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maurice, I've seen Noomi in several movies already and I'm a fan of her.

He certainly did. The film was awesome!:)

Maynard Morrissey said...

I refuse to read everything Prometheus until August when I'll finally see it LOL

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, my review is completely spoiler-free, so you can read it top to bottom, without worrying it will ruin anything for you. ;)

Kaijinu said...

I love Alien and Aliens, never liked the last two, the AVPs? decent but empty.

This? I can't wait to see this one! Although I have to ask: Is it weird to see Pinhead in that poster?

Dan O. said...

Just got done watching it and I can’t say I was all that impressed with what I saw. Yeah, it had its moments that were tense and a little freaky but it never fully got off the ground for me. However, it’s a beautiful film the whole way through and one that should definitely be seen in 3D no matter wherever you are. Good review George.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kaijinu, I do too. I love both films almost as equally, and this one is coming in third place.

No it's not weird. It will make sense later in the movie.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Dan, thanks, buddy.

I loved it, because I thought it was well-balanced, gripping and done with great precision. It reminded me of Alien, but it shined on its own as well... and it was beautiful indeed.

M. Hufstader said...

Excellent review! I definitely loved this one. Something I didn't mention because I was too busy ogling the actors, but I'm glad you did--the imagery. The scenes. Everything. If nothing else, this is a beautiful movie. Completely. It just happens to also be super awesome.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

M. Hufstader, thank you so much.

I thought the visuals were a big part of this movie, and they were impressive indeed. But it didn't deliver only on that, it delivered on story and acting as well. Glad you liked it as much as I did.

Maynard Morrissey said...

Just to let you know: I try to avoid readinbg EVERYTHING that has to do with Prometheus. I just try to be as unbiased as possible :-)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, good luck then. :)

You're one tough guy. :)

Unknown said...

Awesome review!! I am dying to see this film and hope to see it this week. I love Ridley Scott and have missed him terribly in the realm of sci fi.

It make s me very happy that you enjoyed it so much. You are one of my go to film peeps and I know if you like it, 99% of the time, I will, too.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thank you, sweetheart. Your compliments are never ending. I appreciate it.

Scott making sci-fi is at his best I think.

That may be a pretty daring statement, but I think Prometheus is almost right up there with Alien. That's how much I enjoyed it.

It's different, but has a similar feel about it. I hope you enjoy it just as much.

HorrO said...

9 out 10! You did say you loved it. It was a good movie. I just got tired of all the creation talk. Interesting yes, but I guess that is not what I wanted to see. They did such a great job with the action scenes, I wish there were more of them. Wow, you saw it in 3D. I'm sure that was amazing! 2D was outstanding! Just curious, do you think this movie is better than last summer's sci-fi hit Rise of the Planet of the Apes? By the way, I'm including your review in a Prometheus promotion at PromoteHorror.com!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, yes I gave it a 9, because I think it deserves it. :) The 3D was one of the best I've seen, and the action was top-notch indeed.

I gave ROTPOTA the exact same rating last year, so I think they're equally as good. :)

Thanks, buddy! :)

HorrO said...

No problem with that. It is interesting the different views on this movie. I think I liked ROTPOTA more, but that is me. I do remember that you liked it, as did most people.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, I loved both films dor different reasons.

There was a lot to be enjoyed in ROTPOTA. It was a brilliant movie.. just like "Prometheus". :)