1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, February 21, 2011

[5.50/10] La Casa Muda a.k.a. The Silent House (2010)


La Casa Muda

a.k.a.


The Silent House (2010)

Brief review:
Coming from Uruguay, "La Casa Muda" revolves around a father and daughter team, who settle down in a cottage in the middle of nowhere, in order to start repairs on the following morning... but their first night there turns into a nightmare. Thankfully, "The Silent House" avoids most of the cliches used in the currently popular POV horror genre, such as 'found footage' gimmicks and jerky camera movements, as instead it tries a new formula: no cuts & edits! Made for roughly $6,000, and shot in one long continuous 72-minute take using a Canon Mark II DSLR, "La Casa Muda" is arguably the first horror of it kind, shot in just one take, which allows the viewer to share each one of the experiences of the characters. However, the experiences themselves are rather uninvolving. Though the characters are barely introduced to the audience, Florencia Colucci manages to stand out as Laura, as she's portrays panic and fear in a very believable way. Gustavo Hernandez does a competent job behind the camera, and he handles the 'one take' challenge quite well, and the cottage itself is a truly creepy setting, but the film is not half as effective as it thinks it is, despite it contains a few good scares, and some suspenseful moments.

Overall summary: Although "The Silent House" intrigues with its unique execution and interesting premise, it barely lives up to its potential due to the lack of thrills, genuine scares and relevant conclusion.

6 comments:

Jaccstev said...

You've seen this one? The trailer is pretty intriguing to me and I still want to watch the film. Is there a HF link? ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Of course I have, Jaccs. Otherwise, I wouldn't have reviewed it ;) I don't know about HF, I've downloaded it as a torrent. Google it, buddy.

Unknown said...

I always love to read your brief, but well-crafted and informative reviews. I go here first, before checking out other critics :) The one take style intrigues me and I love a good haunted house story. I'll have to find this one.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

"I go here first, before checking out other critics" - Wow! Mel, seriously? :) You're flattering me, girl! :) I'm a complete amateur, and far from a great writer. I take it seriously, though... it's more than just a hobby for me. :)
THANKS!

As for the movie... well.. it left me a bit disappointed. The conclusion was so ridiculous, it ruined the film completely.

✗✗ said...

It's too bad this wasn't a success. It really sounds like it had a lot of potential. Honestly, I still kind of want to see it-you made it sound good despite its flaws. Plus, I agree with Melissa! Your writing is sooo eloquent. You're definitely a top contender; you should give yourself more credit.

Continuing on how awesome you are you also seem to know how to just brighten my day!! Not only with your wonderful reviews but also with you’re beyond sweet comments! ; )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, too bad indeed. I expected it to be a lot creepier, but the second half was a mess and let the film down a bit.

Ah, girls... you're so sweet. Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. However, I still reckon there's a lot to be desired writing-wise, considering that English isn't my first language, and that my grammar is far from perfect.

Well, Nicole, a beyond sweet person like you deserves a beyond sweet comments, that's what I think. :)