1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Friday, November 27, 2009

[4.00/10] Surrogates (2009)


Surrogates (2009)

Short review: There are a lot of good ideas floating around in "Surrogates". For whatever reason, though, the movie is just never really able to mesh them into something that's engrossing or as thought-provoking as it should be. As the movie progressed with it's anti-technology message, Bruce Willis became less like a hero and more like a pain in everyone's neck. Tom Greer's backstory is so run-of- the-mill that it borders on being laughable, and we're never really given a chance to connect/identify with this situation. Moving at a breakneck 88 minutes, the whole thing feels more episodic in nature than it does a full length feature film. The pacing is often mired by plodding tedium at times as well, which is oddly contrasted by the convenient, very "Hollywood" final act that we all see coming from hundred miles away. More interesting is the lack of production skills on this movie. Bar a few scenes, "Surrogates" has a made-for-TV feeling much of the time. The outside lighting looked odd, the interior shots often seemed badly framed. Somehow, this movie either lost money in production or maybe never had much, and that definitely showed.

  • My Rating: 4.00/10
  • Rotten Tomatoes: 39% (5.4/10)
  • IMDb: 6.4/10

2 comments:

Univarn said...

Ack for whatever reason I can't get blogger to keep me updated on your reviews! I saw this and had basically the same reaction. It's a shame too, so much wasted talent.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

It was a huge disappointment for me, too. I don't know about the talent, cause I think Bruce is very boring actor :)
Are you sure about this problem? Well, I post reviews almost every day on my blog here. I'm pretty obsessed with it lately :) THanks for the comment, buddy!