1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, November 9, 2009

[10/10] The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)


The Curious Case of
Benjamin Button
(2008)


Short review: The versatile David Fincher, who also directed Pitt in "Fight Club" and "Se7en", made "Benjamin Button" as lengthy as his other fab film "Zodiac", but he keeps you occupied with the sumptuous visual design and smoothly executed special effects that don't steal the characters' thunder. After all, it's the cast that not only assured box-office draw but also made sure that you are emotionally engaged. It's difficult not to feel for each one of them. As his life is played all throughout, you will share in Benjamin's curiosity and innocence. You will feel the frustration, heartbreak and devotion of his lifelong love Daisy, played by the marvelously chameleonic Cate Blanchett. Julia Ormond's thespic skills didn't seem necessary though as Daisy's daughter Caroline, but Taraji P. Henson deserves a best supporting actress nod for her moving portrayal as Queenie. Also praiseworthy is Tilda Swinton's short but impactful performance as Benjamin's first lover Elizabeth. Words cannot express how truly magnificent this film is. This is what film-making is all about, pure escapism. You forget reality for two hours and you'll get an amazing masterwork helmed by a genius, written by a visionary and defined by high standard acting. Everything is so right in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", from the acting, to the vivid cinematography. Best movie of 2008 for me and already in my TOP 12 FAVORITE MOVIES OF ALL TIME list!

2 comments:

DEZMOND said...

I must admit this movie was a bit too "Americanish" for me in its approach to the dramatic plot, but it was impressive enough to secure its place on the list of last year's best films.

What still shocks me, and probably will forever, is the fact that Cate Blanchett, who basically carries the whole movie with her portrayal of both young Daisy, and especially the old one lying on her deathbed, wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, although her role is clearly historical, and the film wouldn't have its depth without her. I took it as a shameless slap in the face to all the genuinely talented artists.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Well, I haven't read the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I thought the movie was almost perfect! It became one of my all time favorite films! There was so much to like: The story was pretty unique; The visuals were simply breathtaking!; The art direction and cinematography were stunningly beautiful! Fincher did a phenomenal job with this movie! I might sound a bit too enthusiastic, but I really think TCCOBB is a masterpiece! I wanted it to win Best Picture Oscar so bad, although I knew it's not going to happen!! :)
Cate is my favorite actress and I completely agree with everything you are saying. She deserved a nomination at least!