1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Friday, March 27, 2020

[7.00/10] Underwater (2020)

Underwater (2020)

Quick Review: Borrowing its ideas from superior creature features set in the space or the sea, this one is far from original, but all its familiarity aside, the technically-deft, stylishly- shot, and well-directed "Underwater" is a tense and thrilling into-the-deep sci-fi horror whose drenched, dark, turbid, and claustrophobic setting is more effective than the jump scares throughout, and the film's strongest asset, followed by the grisly-looking, fearful sea monsters, and Steward's feisty lead performance.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like a decent creature feature.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Me too. I liked this one more than I expected to. It had flaws, and it felt rip-off-ish at time, but the execution was spot-on!

Kaijinu said...

Didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought, sadly; I guess I was looking forward to something like Deep Sea Rising meets Cloverfield, not The Descent underwater...

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I did. It was extremely well-made, and I was surprised that it wasn't about a regular sea monster. I thought Pandorum was The Descent underwater...in a bad way.

Kaijinu said...

The less we talk about Pandorum, the better...

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Lol, I agree. Hated that one.