1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

[7.75/10] 1917 (2019)

1917 (2019)

Quick Review: Groundbreaking in its 'single shot' technique, yet apart from its raw sense of urgency, quite mere in narrative, the tightly-scored "1917" follows the mission of pair of soldiers risking their all to deliver a lifesaving letter, with Deakins' keen, tireless, and masterful camerawork tracking the characters' every move against the harrowing backdrop of war wreckage, with thrilling results, even if the impact the story leaves is never as emotionally devastating as the hard-hitting imagery.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've seen half of the Best Picture nominees and this one has my vote.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I've seen them all. This one definitely does NOT get my vote. I'm rooting for either Ford v Ferrari, or Parasite, or OUATIH.