1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, October 31, 2011

Best to Worst Found Footage / Mockumentary Horror Movies Part 1: The Mediocre + BONUS



Haunted Changi (2010)

More creepy than scary, "Haunted Changi" offers some dark, ominous settings, and a couple of tense moments, but it does pretty much nothing else to distinguish itself from every other POV horror film.

My Rating: 5.25/10








"Fourth Kind" has its eerie moments and decent thrills, but it never really rises beyond that.

My Rating: 5.00/10










Deserted House (2010)


Dull, hardly scary and amateurishly executed, "Deserted House" is a ghost story at its worst, and a poor entry in the 'found footage' sub-genre.

My Rating: 4.00/10






The Tapes (2011)

Featuring annoying characters, shallow dialogues and dull story, and lacking in suspense and genuine thrills, "The Tape"
is a rather poor attempt at 'found footage' horror. (Review coming soon)

My Rating: 3.75/10







+ BONUS:

UPCOMING 'FOUND FOOTAGE' HORROR MOVIES


Tape 407 (2011)

Plot summary: Survivors of an airplane crash find themselves within the borders of a government testing area and pursued by predators.

Release date: Oct 31, 2011









[REC]³ GĂ©nesis (2012)

Plot summary: In a clever twist that draws together the plots of the first two movies, this third part of the saga works as a decoder to uncover information hidden in the first two films and leaves the door open for the final installment, the future "[REC] 4 Apocalypse".

Release date: Mar 30, 2012





The Lost Coast Tapes (2012)

Plot summary: A cynical investigative journalist and his documentary team travel to a remote cabin to debunk a Cryptozoologist’s claim of finding a dead Bigfoot, but their film quickly becomes a record of their life and battle against an unseen horror.

Release date: 2012




Haunted Poland (2012)

Plot summary: A couple travel to Poland but find themselves disturbed by an evil force when the girl returns to her home town where she once played a Ouija board.

Release date: Apr 20, 2012

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Interesting upcoming releases. Fourth Kind was 'okay.' I made it to the end and then soon forgot it.

venoms5 said...

I saw THE FOURTH KIND and was a bit underwhelmed by save for one or two scenes. Some of the 'coming soon' entries look good. Outside of the REC 3 film, the only one I've heard anything about is the one dealing with a Bigfoot.

Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror) said...

Yeah, I'd put The Fourth Kind at about mediocre too. A very interesting story with some genuine chilling moments, but overall not as effective as it could have been.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, those are interesting indeed. I'm most curious about Tape 407 and Lost Coast Tapes.

Yes, Fourth Kinda was watchable, but nothing more than that.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

venoms5, the one dealing with a Bigfoot looks the most interesting to me and I love the poster - it's so atmospheric!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michele, I was so disappointed with The Fourth Kind. The supposed to be real footage was impressive and scary, but the rest of the movie not that much.

✗✗ said...

Looking forward to the upcoming found footage films! They seem pretty interesting but I seriously need to catch up on Rec. Great Halloween Special!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I can't wait for those either. They all look very interesting to me.

Yes, you need to see [REC] and its sequel ASAP! :)
ppreciate it.

Unknown said...

The Fourth Kind was pure dreckitude. Hated every single solitary boring second of it. I am kind of interested in the bigfoot flick. I can't resist Sasquatch. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, I didn't hate "The Fourth Kind", but didn't think it was something special either. I has a love-hate relationship with that movie. :)

I'm more then interested in this bigfoot film. It looks very promising, though very similar to "The Troll Hunter".

Maynard Morrissey said...

Wowza, that's an absolutely terrific post. Kudos, George!

I'm Surprised at how much I've seen of them. Only a couple I haven't seen.

btw, I love The 4th Kind. Creepy as fuck and with a gorgeous performance of my favorite babe Milla :)

2 movies I miss on your list:

#1: THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES
IMO one of the greatest and most impressive found footage movies I've ever seen (from the directors of Devil and Quarantine).
Never officially released but widely available as torrent - highly recommended.

#2: PARANORMAL ENTITY
A cheap PA-ripoff from The Asylum who are also responsible for Gacy House.
I didn't like it but you may like it, since you are also a fan of Gacy.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thank you so much, Harry.

I've put a lot of work and energy into these posts. :)

I love Mila as well, but the movie itself was rather disappointing.

I'm familiar with both of your recommendations.

I've downloaded THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES 2 weeks ago, but its style just didn't click with me and I deleted it. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

Hehe, seems as if the both of us put a lotta hard work into our Halloween posts.
Maanyrd & Nebular - the hard workers among the horror bloggers :)

Whoops! I'd re-download it and give it another chance

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Harry, we definitely are hard-working bloggers! :) Damn, it took me 3 hours to do these 4 posts, but it was worth it. ;)

HorrO said...

Lots of hate for The Fourth Kind. Yes, not a great movie. Good idea that could have been done better. It just didn't bother me as much as a lot of people. Definitely looking forward to REC 3! Good list!!!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, I didn't hat 4th Kind, but didn't love it either. The 'real' footage had a big impact on me, but the rest of the film was pretty bad.

Ah, tell me about it. I'm dying to see REC 3. Glad you enjoyed the list, pal. ;)

Horror Movies | Online Movies said...

I never told my father I loved him before he died, and I have a lot of issues about that. They're all swimming around in my head, in my heart, unresolved, and in a way it felt fitting to dedicate the film to him.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Which film???

Rita Santos said...

Deserted House was painful to watch. Haunted Changi just a disappointment. It's was awfully boring and predictable. To bad the cinematography was actually good.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

FilmPuff, I agree.