1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thursday, October 13, 2011

[7.00/10] Evil Things (2011)


Evil Things (2011)

Brief review: Shot in 2009 and shown at a few festivals that same year, yet released widely in 2011, "Evil Things" is a (fake) evidence about the disappearance of 5 college students who has left NY on Jan 9, 2009 for a weekend in the country. "Evil Things" is not your typical 'found footage' flick dealing with ghosts, zombies or exorcism. It has a supernatural touch, but that touch is so subtle, you'll still believe every minute of it. It takes the POV sub-genre to another level, bringing slasher horror into it and using no gimmicks whatsoever. There are no cheap scares, and the movie gets more and more tense as the story unfolds. The second half is edge-of-your-seat chilling and often terrifying, without revealing too much to loose the viewer's interest. The plot may be simple, but due to the gripping script and Perez's steady direction, you'll find yourself glued to the screen, deeply involved and connected with the characters. Speaking of characters, those are likable and surprisingly plausible. The chemistry between the young actors is so strong, it feels like they all are real life friends and know each other since forever. Every single one of them deliver a solid, genuine and thoroughly believable performance, with Laurel Casillo and Elyssa Mersdorfbi being the standouts.

Overall summary: Silly title aside, "Evil Things" is an underrated POV slasher flick that shows a whole new different side of the 'found footage' horror sub-genre, and works thanks to its authentic originality and brilliantly believable characters, plus, it's super-tense and actually scary.

18 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Another great review, yeah this one wasn't bad at all, beats most horror outing on the market lately.

Life, Liberty and Accountability said...

hmmm, i might have to check this out

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Pat, thanks once again. :) I was quite surprised to be honest. I expected it to be another cheap by-the-numbers POV horror, but it ended up being a little gem of a horror movie. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kid, you definitely should. It was a big and pleasant surprise. Quite scary as well.

Mel Chesley said...

This sounds very interesting! I may have to check it out. :D

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Caledonia, it just as interesting as it sounds and then some. :) If you're into found footage horror, I think you'll enjoy it.

Maynard Morrissey said...

good review, very excited about it. I'm a sucker for all kinds of found footage stuff, so I will deffo check this out soon!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

So am I, Harry. I think I've seen all FF horror movies. Well, most of them. For a Halloween day I've prepared a horror list you might enjoy ;)

Unknown said...

I HATE found footage. I want real acting, real writing and non-film school student director. I want professional f/x, I want steady, non-nauseating camera work and please, dear God, color film, NOT night-vision. I want to run the Blair Witch people over with my car for creating this horrific sub-genre. ;) Sorry, but with maybe one exception, every single found footage movie has bored me to the point where I will gladly drive 3 inch nails into my arms for some entertainment. And I have short arms so that fun will not last long. :)

Unknown said...

With my big mouth rant, I went and forgot to tell that this is a thoughtful review as always. :) Hugs, sweetie!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

OMG, Mel, this comment of yours just shocked me. LOL. :) I had no clue you hate found footage flicks. I have now. :) Mel, there is a real acting, writing and directing.. it's just the style, hon, just the style.
Do not get mislead by the poster. This one has only a few night vision scenes. Most of the stuff happen during daylight. I don't mind shaky camera work, especially in POV horrors.

"I will gladly drive 3 inch nails into my arms for some entertainment." - LOL> Great sarcastic humor as always!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thanks, sweetheart. You never forget to make a compliment for my writing. Really appreciate it. Bug hugs!

Creepy Query Girl said...

woah! Thanks for this review- nevr heard of this movie but it sounds like something to watch for halloween:)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Creepy Query Girl, thank YOU for the comment and the follow. It's a great choice for Halloween night. If you like POV horror, you won't be disappointed. ;)

lisa hodges@ymail.com said...

was not impressed at all nothing like a horror movie seemed more like a documentary than a good horror movie if I knew it was going to be like it was I would not have wasted my money on it very disappointed

Kaijinu said...

How good are the kills in this one?

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Lisa, I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. It was tense, scary, unpredictable and realistic, and I loved it!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kaijinu, this one is definitely not about the kills. It's about suspense. :)