1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

[8.00/10] Rio [3D] (2011)


Rio [3D] (2011)

Brief review: The creators of "Ice Age", Blue Sky Studios, bring us this marvellously-crafted and ultra-hilarious fish-out-of-water story about a domesticated macaw, who meets the bird of his dreams, and takes off on an adventure to Rio de Janeiro. From its hilarious and visually stunning opening sequence to the predictable, but rather satisfying finale, "Rio" moves long at an energetic pace, and despite its straightforwardness, there's never a dull moment throughout - it's consistently full of laughs, clever jokes, and amusing situations. And yes, "Rio" does break new grounds in terms of animation and use of color - you'll be stunned by the bright, vividly-tropical color palette, the vibrant imagery, and the attention to detail. The CGI scenery of Rio is stunningly-glorious, the jungle is spectacular, and each of the characters is unique, imaginatively-designed, and full of life Furthermore, "Rio" delivers some of the best use of 3D in an animated movie I've ever seen - the flawless 3D effects give the film even more liveliness and visual depth. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the voice acting, as I saw the film dubbed in my language, but based on the wonderful cast, I guess they all did a pretty good job in bringing their characters to life.

Overall summary: Aside from the utter lack of originality, "Rio" is pretty much everything a great animated feature should be - funny, witty, smart, lively, brisk, enjoyable, exciting, colorful, adventurous, and visually-breathtaking. Pixar, you finally got served!

10 comments:

LoneIslander said...

I didn't think it would be that good, guess I was wrong

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to see this. I love the Ice Age films and fell in love with Rio immediately from the trailers.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought it was good and a solid B (if I graded movies) since there really wasn't anything wrong with it. Sorry, probably just me, but I didn't laugh out loud once, although I did smile.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

LoneIslander, me neither. I was surprised how good it was - funny, entertaining and visually-fantastic. See it ASAP! :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, I thought "Rio" was better than all 3 "Ice Age" films put together. Yep, it was that great. I was shocked how wonderful it was.. well, kinda unoriginal, but still wonderful. If you loved the trailers, wait to see the movie ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, I was surprised you didn't like it THAT much. In my opinion, "How to Train Your Dragon" wasn't half as funny as "Rio", nor it was so spectacular, visually. It had bigger heart, though :)

✗✗ said...

Ooo I will have to see this one!! I have heard so many fabulous things!! I don't usually watch animation but this obviously has so many great qualities, especially since you gave it a 9/10!! WOW! Great Review as always!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, you should definitely see it. It was the most pleasant cinematic surprise of the year so far. I liked pretty much everything about it! Thanks, hon ;)

Hexibar said...

It's a pretty standard kid's movie, but fun nonetheless. Oscar contender? Most definitely. Is it the best animated film of the year? Not by a longshot.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Hexibar, I respect your opinion, but I found it to be much more than just another kids flick. Hopefully, it will get an Oscar nomination. I'm not saying it will end up the best animated feature of the year, but so far I haven't seen a better one.