1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thursday, March 31, 2011

[6.00/10] Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night (2010)



Brief review: Apparently planned before the American "Paranormal Activity" sequel, this Japanese version tells a similar story to the original movie, but this time around, the demon terrorizes an undeniably cute brother and sister in their home in Tokyo. Although, basically, this version is more-of-the-same, it still manages to deliver some good scares, and plenty of shocks and suspense. Just like its predecessors, the film does not rely on cheap scares and loud noises, nor is heavy on special effects and lots of scary images. But as may you know, sometimes less is more, and "Tokyo Night" succeeds in its simplicity, and it's its subtleness that makes itfrightengly realistic. Yes, it hardly brings anything new to the table, but the fact that it's Asian, makes it even creepier. The film gets more and more tense as the story progresses, but it's the characters that draw you into the story, and make you feel connected with them. from the very beginning. Both protagonists are extremely likable and believably-acted by Aoi Nakamura and Noriko Aoyama. Though the terrifying image in the final scene is obviously borrowed from another Japanese horror flick ("Ringu" anyone?), it's still effective enough, and is sure to give you the creeps.

Overall summary: Though hardly as effective as its two American predecessors, "Tokyo Night" features likable characters, plenty of spooky visuals, and a couple of truly chilling scenes of terror, that make it a decent entry into the "Paranormal Activity" franchise.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I found both American films truly boring and amateurish. I actually fell asleep in the first one and had to restart the DVD. For me it was like watching an extended episode of Discovery Channel's Haunting. The cheap scares, poor acting and off-camera moans and groans irritated me to no end. Maybe it's me, but I did not get why these movies were so popular. Then again, I never got why The Ring was so scary either. Ringu, yes, that was scary, but Naomi Watts and her creepy kid drove me nuts. I was so hoping that demon bitch from the well would kill them. :)

Great review, though. You may have talked me into seeing this Tokyo version. :)

LoneIslander said...

I never even heard of this one.

Maynard Morrissey said...

as long as it's better than Asylum's "Paranormal Entity", I'm fine :)

✗✗ said...

I definitely want to see this. I liked the first (US) Paranormal Activity and although I didn't see the second one yet your review has me wanting to see this version first. For some reason this version appears creepier, especially if the ending is Ring-ish. Great post! ; )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, seriously? :) Well, I didn't expect you to say that. I loved both American films quite entertaining and scary, because they had this realistic feel to them. I disagree that the scares were cheap, well most of the time :)

As for "The Ring"... well, I thought "Ringu" was creepier and scarier than the American remake, however, the US version was way better in terms of execution.

Thanks, hun.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

LoneIslander, really? Well, I have, because I watched its trailer months ago.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, I've heard of "Paranormal Entity", but decided to skip it... it looked awful. "Tokyo Night" is an official Japanese version of "PA", not a cheap rip-off. You might like it.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thanks, Nicole. I liked the original US version a lot, as well. I even thought the sequel was good, especially in its final part. Not sure if "Tokyo Night" was better than "PA 2", but it wasn't worse either. You should give both films a shot and decide yourself :)

The Ringu-ish final scene definitely gave me the creeps.

Unknown said...

LOL There's that Mel, seriously? You think I've lost my mind, but that's cool, sweetie. :) I can see your points about the realism. I think I'm about the only one who did not like those films. Ah well, sometimes I am just that different. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I knew you're gonna say that :) No, sweetheart, it's not that "Mel, seriously" you're thinking about ;) I just couldn't believe it, so I asked for your confirmation by saying: Seriously? :)

It's great to be different... and you're great. No, you're amazing! :) Since you hated one of my all time favorite horror films (The Ring) I'm curious about what you'll think of [REC]. Promise me, you're gonna give it a shot! :)

Unknown said...

Aww thanks! Right back at ya, my friend. I will give [REC] a shot for sure. Mostly our tastes mesh so I'm confident I will enjoy this one.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I bet you will :) It's the scariest film ever! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Curious to see what you thought of Source Code - I dug it!
And you are featured tomorrow for "C" Nebular.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

C is for CineMarvellous?! WOW! Thanks, Alex. I really didn't see that one coming. Such a nice surprise.. and such an honor! THANKS! I really appreciate it.

As for "Source Code", well, I won't be able to see it till next week, so you should be more patient. I'm looking forward to it, of course.