1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Saturday, September 23, 2017

[6.00/10] Leatherface (2017)

Leatherface (2017)

Quick Review: A reasonably clever origin story with a sense of mystery, this prequel does a solid job in keep you all guessing who Leatherface is till the gruesome final act, but then again, it lacks the grit, rawness, and brutal intensity of the original, and that combined with the inconsistent pacing takes away from its potential. Directed by the French duo behind "Inside", "Leatherface" is expectedly crazy, gory, and grotesque, but it is the demented characters that make it occasionally unsettling.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've never been a big fan of the original story, so probably not one I'll watch.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Me neither, but I don't regret watching this one. It was okay.

Kaijinu said...

I'm not a fan of this: the tone just doesn't match the original TCM so, as a prequel? This is just, I dunno, missing a lot of mark.

As a crime thriller/horror of it's own, however, I can see where it's charm comes from. It's unsettling, upsetting, gory charm, and I think it's best to see it like a standalone film.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I agree about the tone. Unlike the previous two, though, this one was a bit thoughtful at least.