1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, February 20, 2012

[9.00/10] Hugo (2011)


Hugo (2011)

Brief review: Based on Selznick's award-winning novel, "Hugo" is a delightful and exuberant, yet enlightening family-friendly adventure tale, that celebrates both the wonders of the imagination and the magic of cinema, and shows a whole new different side of Martin Scorsese, who pays homage to his favorite art in a deeply intimate and nostalgic way. Visually, "Hugo" is eye-poppingly gorgeous and absolutely stunning, as pretty much every single frame of this beautifully shot movie is a state-of-the-art perfection, thanks to Scorsese's innovative and impressively versatile direction, aided by the amazing skills of his technical crew. The highly-acclaimed director of photography, Robert Richardson, uses a unique color palette of dim turquoise and copper, complemented by a smooth, delicate lighting and vivid violet tint when needed, to deliver the most breathtaking cinematography of 2011, and the striking production design by Dante Ferretti gives the film a truly authentic period feel. The characters in the film are superbly written and portrayed, and the acting is top-notch. Asa Butterfield as Hugo conveys innocence, candor, purity and determination with ease, Chloë Grace Moretz is absolutely adorable as the amiable Isabelle, Ben Kingsley truly shines as the heart-broken filmmaker-turned-toy seller, Georges Méliès, and Sacha Baron Cohen delivers a hilarious performance as the grumpy Station Inspector.

Overall summary: With its magically moving story, delightful characters, dazzling cinematography and exquisite production design, Scorsese's personal love letter to cinema, "Hugo", is arguably, the most enchanting, absorbing, imaginative and visually-sumptuous film of 2011.

20 comments:

InfinitePlans said...

Sounds great, looking forward to see it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd wanted to catch this one in the theater, but I think it came out with two other films I wanted to see and got lost in the shuffle. Might just splurge and get it on DVD when it comes out.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

InfinitePlans, it's an exceptional movie for true movie buffs. I bet you're gonna love it!:)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, Hugo won't be released in my country until the middle of April, but I watched it on Blu-Ray. It's a pity, because I wanted to see it in 3D on the big screen. I just couldn't wait any longer. :) It's a truly magnificent film and you should definitely check it out when it comes out on DVD.

Anonymous said...

I really wanted to see it in theaters in 3D, but I couldn't be around a lot of people due to a supressed immune system.

Ricky said...

I didn't fancy this but now I'll have to check it out!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Jeremy, I'm so sorry you couldn't catch it in the theaters because of that. I didn't see it in 3D either, so don't get too frustrated. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Ricky, once again, it will relate mostly to those who have big passion for film, but considering what a great movie buff you are, I think you'll appreciate it. :)

FilmMattic said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Stupendous review, George! I absolutely loved Hugo. It was, as you know, my number three movie of last year. Your words and thoughts, aside from doing it justice, provide music to my ears. And you pinpointed precisely all that was wonderful; cinematography, touching story, characterizations, production design, Scorsese, Scorsese, Scorsese!

Superb!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thanks for the lovely words, Matty. Appreciate it. :)
I share your huge enthusiasm regarding Hugo, as I loved pretty much everything about it. The cinematography was so dazzlingly splendid it blew me away, the story touched me, the characters moved me, and it was all so emotional and beautiful. Definitely my favorite Scorsese film along with The Departed.

farawayeyes said...

Wanted to see this sooo bad in the theater (it still wound NOT be 3D - not on my little island. Not sure how I missed it, BUT I will definitely see it on DVD. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Unknown said...

Your review and Matt's were excellent, you guys are very passionate about Hugo and yet, inexplicably, I can't summon even an ounce of interest for this right now. I don't know why, I'm just weird like that, I guess. :) Maybe someday. Look how long it took me to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

Is it really that great? Wow, I might check it out now.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

farawayeyes, you're welcome. I'll see it again in 3D for sure as it will be shown in my local theater in April. Everybody says the 3D is spectacular.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, yes me and Matt are very passionate about Hugo and there's a reason why - it's a true wizardry in the most cinematic sense of the word. I hope it won't take you that long, hon. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, yes it is a great film, though I'm not utterly convinced you'd enjoy it as much. It's a beautiful story, beautifully told. :) Check it out if you want to see something different and magical.

Dan O. said...

The movie itself runs a bit long at 127 minutes, but Hugo is worth every minute for the visual feast it provides, and features Scorsese in probably his most delightful and elegant mood ever, especially with all of the beautiful 3-D. Good review.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Dan, well-said, and I couldn't agree more with you. Sadly, I didn't see it in 3D, but the visuals were still jaw-dropping.

Kaijinu said...

I'm gonna see this! Looks super fun!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kaijinu, it's more than just fun, it's a film for true movie lovers. If you expect some some kind of lighthearted kids adventure, you may ended up disappointed.