1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

[6.50/10] Underworld: Awakening [3D] (2012)


Underworld: Awakening [3D] (2012)

Brief review: The forth installment in the "Underworld" franchise has arrived, and while it doesn't break any new grounds, it still offers tons of great entertainment. It's hard to comment on the film's storyline, because "Awakening" is pretty much plotless, which also explains its ultra-short running time. That said, it has enough strengths to make up for the weak script. The gothic vibe is now replaced with a grim, futuristic tone that feels refreshing, and the trademark bluish tint of the cinematography is more saturated than ever before. The dazzling visuals contrast nicely with the dark post-apocalyptic setting, and together they create a stylish atmosphere that makes the film incredibly appealing, visually. There are certain scenes where the use of CGI is too obvious and a bit cheesy, however, the design of the Lycans is quite slick, and the special effects during the action scenes, and the 3D in particular, are impressive. Speaking of action scenes, those are incredibly well-shot and executed, and hands down, the highlight of the movie. "Awakening" is also pretty violent and graphic, but you can't help but enjoy the bloodbath on screen. Kate Beckinsale is back as Selene and she not only looks stunning, but she also brings an enviable physicality and coolness to her character. Theo James is quite stiff and often annoying to watch, but the adorable India Eisley does good as Selene's little daughter, Eve.

Overall summary: Way too short and really thin on plot, yet briskly-paced, spectacularly action-packed and visually-stylish, "Underworld: Awakening" is a step in the right direction compared to the previous disappointing and mediocre installment, "Rise of the Lycans".

24 comments:

InfinitePlans said...

Will probably see for Kate! :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And it sets up for a fifth movie. I did like the storyline with Selene's daughter, as it brought a little emotion to the character.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, I did too, even if it was a bit predictable. The action blew me away though. And I loved Kate as Selene!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

InfinitePlans, it offers more than just Kate. The action is spectacular and the film looks great.

filmrruss said...

Underworld is definitely one of my guilty pleasures, and I do want to check this out; but if I have to wait for the DVD I'll not be too heartbroken. Sounds like good fun though and about what I'd expect from another Underworld film. It depends if there are other things I'd rather see at the cinema.

FilmMattic said...

Kate Beckinsale is, and will remain, the only reason why I want to see this film. I love her. My most impassioned celebrity crush :)

Thanks for a nice review!

Unknown said...

Only a 6.5?! Anything with werewolves should get at least an 8 right off the top LOL An engaging and thoughtful review, hon. I will say this much, Eve is an obvious cliche name for her daughter, first woman, and all that.

I can't wait to see this. I have loved each installment of Underworld. Kate is one of the most awesome vampires ever! :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Russ, same case here. Loved one, kinda liked two, but the third one didn't do anything for me.
The latest installment on the other hand was kinda refreshing and really enjoyable. Don't expect a lot in terms of storyline though.
I didn't regret seeing it on the big screen, because the action scenes rocked. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Matty, I agree. Kate is one of the prettiest actresses working today, and I can understand you having crush on her. Alex does too. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, why 'only'? :) a 6.50 is a pretty decent score :) If it had a stronger script I would have given it a 7 and above, but sadly it pretty much sucked story-wise.

I didn't think of Eve as a cliched daughter name, but now when you mention it, I think I'd have to agree with you, hon. :)

Thanks for the lovely words, my dear. :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

God, I'm so lame. I haven't seen any of the Underworld movies so far... :-/

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Harry, seriously? You should redeem yourself. The original is fantastic. The first sequel is watchable, the second - a bit boring, but the latest is lots of fun. Watch them all and make a mega review post. :)

Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror) said...

Bleh. Hate the Underworld movies.

Maynard Morrissey said...

Guess what I'm planning? :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michele, had no idea.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, yay, can't wait for the mega post. :)

✗✗ said...

Ooo I will be seeing this. I actually really enjoy this franchise. Being that this is a pretty action packed film and not horrible is encouraging! I will probably make a point to see it in theaters. Lovely review as always : )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I enjoyed all of them expect for Rise of the Lycans. It felt out of place for me. The action in this one is incredible, and I promise you won't be bored, not even for a second.

farawayeyes said...

I'll wait for the DVD.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

farawayeyes, if you're not a fan of the series, you'd better wait for the DVD. ;)

Maurice Mitchell said...

Someone told me the giant werewolf is worth the price of admission.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maurice, that's true. The giant werewolf action scene in the end is the film's highlight.

Franco Macabro said...

Enjoyed this one, but it felt so simplistic, it felt like a dumb movie to me, still managed to enjoy it though. The action was cool, so where the visuals, the 3-D was decent as well.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

The Film Connoisseur, I felt exactly the same way about it. Simplistic in story, but rich in action and visuals. I enjoyed it a lot. :)