1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

[8.75/10] The Adventures of Tintin [3D] (2011)


The Adventures of Tintin [3D] (2011)

Full review: Based on a series of Belgian comic books of the same name, created by Hergé, "The Adventures of Tintin" is the first animated film in Steven Spielberg's long and enormously successful career, and thanks to his experience and undeniable directing talent, his debut animated feature hardly disappoints. Spielberg once again does wonders, combining his directing versatility with the strength of an old school storytelling and contemporary 3D and CGI techniques, to deliver one of the most spectacular cinematic experiences of the year. Minor flaws aside, "The Adventures of Tintin" is everything an animated movie should be - it's entertaining, briskly-paced, absorbing, enjoyable, funny and charming, but most importantly, it has a great sense of adventure to it, something that most movies seem to be lacking these days. The story itself is exciting, unpredictable and brilliantly-executed, and the dialogues are smartly-written, and full of witty lines and clever jokes, that will make you either smile or laugh hard. That's right, there's never a dull moment in this movie, and that's something that both, those familiar with the material, and those who have never heard of Tintin before, will be pleased and happy with. Moreover, "The Adventures of Tintin" offers some of the best animation ever put on film, because here, the CGI work is an absolute technical marvel! The animation itself is so slick and beautifully-crafted, and the attention to detail in some shots is so impressive, it truly feels like you're watching a live-action movie. Some of the graphics are simply a work of art, with the rich and breathtaking CGI scenery of Bagghar being the visual highlight of this stunning-looking movie. The use of 3D is just as superb, and certainly adds depth to the already gorgeous visuals. Each and every one of the characters is as wonderfully-designed as enchanting, plus, their 'animated' movements are unbelievably smooth and realistically fluid. The voice work is also exceptional. Jamie Bell's voice has so much character, and his tone is so cheerful and lively, he breathes life into our charming protagonist effortlessly. The amazing Andy Serkis gives another stirring voice performance as Captain Haddock, Daniel Craig delivers as Red Rackhamand, and the always funny Pegg/Frost duo do an excellent job voicing the hilarious twin detectives Thomson and Thompson.

Overall summary: Adventurous, hugely enjoyable, utterly enthralling and stunningly-animated, this impressive first-ever animated film, directed by the mastermind Steven Spielberg, should have been called "The Amazing Adventures of Tintin", as it's absolutely extraordinary in every way, and undoubtedly, the best animated feature of 2011.

28 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Spielberg is the master of adventure! He set the tone with Raiders years ago.
Voted, blogged about it, Tweeted, and even sent out emails to my friends!!!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, he is. No doubt about that! "Tintin" is as adventurous as any of his Indiana Jones films, and has a magical feel to it.

I know, buddy, I know.... and I can't thank you enough for everything you're doing for me. Sadly, most of the people forget to vote for GOLD, and this is the most important award of them all.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'm really looking forward to this movie. Animation is just the latest vehicle at Spielberg's disposal and the finer points of his direction will shine through.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I went and voted for you and Alex

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michael, thank you so much for voting for us. We appreciate it.

Spielberg is the most versatile director ever, and he pulled off his debut animated film so well, you'd never guess it's his first. I was blown away to be honest.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michael, did you vote for GOLD as well? Hm, I don't think it was counted.

filmrruss said...

I'm glad that you really enjoyed it after not being too bothered about seeing it initially. It is tremendous fun isn't it? Pure entertainment, very much in the same vein as Raiders.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Russ, you were right. I didn't really care about it at first, but after I saw it I was like... Wow, that was incredible. Pure entertainment, indeed and very impressive visually as well. Thanks for the recommendation. :) Did you vote for me?

Maynard Morrissey said...

Hey, thanx for the mention!

Never been a fan of Tin Tin, so I will definitely skip this one.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

You're welcome, buddy. ;)

Ah, you're missing a lot. "Tintin" is an incredible thrill ride! I presume, you're not a big fan of animations or I'm wrong? :)

Unknown said...

Great review, but I will definitely be skipping this. Why can't we just get back to real people in costumes instead of all these motion-capture performances and animated everything stories? Seriously, what is wrong with just having one's real face on screen? Using real make up? Having a real set designer using real furniture? CGI is one thing, but I hate having every single frame nothing but computer generation or 90 percent CGI. Ruins the experience for me and leaves me flat. That's why I didn't like the remade Clash of the Titans nor Beowulf or Polar Express. Too much f/x. When I want animation I'll go for something like Rango or Tangled, thank you very much. I will pass your recommendation along to some friends who love this stuff, though. Hugs! :)

✗✗ said...

I'm not the biggest fan of animations but after your convincing review I will have to see this once it's out on DVD. It sounds simply amazing! I mean being a Speilberg film I should have seen it anyways but Pegg and Frost are in it!?! I now of course have to see it. Plus Andy Serkis is absolutely brilliant when it comes to his motion-capture work.

Thank you soooo much for the mention!! You are absolutely amazing! You really are!!! You deserve to win all three categories!!

✗✗ said...

Oh wait silly me! This film hasn't even come out yet! I just might see it in theaters instead!! : )

Unknown said...

And thank you so very, very much for the shout out. I love you! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review of TinTin. I'll take the kids to see it this weekend. I love the setting and adventure is what we love.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Hm. I thought it would be fun, but wasn't sure how it would fare against other animated films. Nice to know the level of action is a cut above.

HorrO said...

After I thought long and hard about it, I went to the voting page but I just couldn't vote for you. Dramatic pause... just kidding! Of course I voted for you, and so should all of your readers. Good luck. I looks like you are in a close race!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, you know what? At first I thought "Tintin" will be like the mediocre Polar Express, where the CGI animation tries to make the people look as realistic as possible, but thankfully, that wasn't the case. Characters' faces are cartoonish and everything is pretty much perfect in terms of animation quality. Please, give it a chance and you'll see it's nothing like Beowulf or PE. Spielberg did an amazing job with it!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I know you're a huge fan of Pegg and Frost and I think you'll enjoy this one a lot.

You're welcome, sweetheart. No, you're amazing, not me. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, yep, it hits US theaters on Dec 23. It's worth-seeing on the big screen for sure.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, do not even mention it. ;)

Love you, too!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Stephen, you're welcome.
I think you'll enjoy it just as much as your kids if not more. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maurice, I wasn't sure about it either, but it turned out pretty great. Check it out!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, LOL. Aren't you a teaser? :)
Thank you so much, buddy. Appreciate it.

HorrO said...

Great review! Saw the movie this weekend. It was definitely a great adventure. I don't know if it was our theater or the movie, but the first few minutes were kind of shaky. After that, the movie looked great. I like pirates so I enjoyed the pirate angle. Looks like they are thinking about a sequel. I would see it!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thanks, buddy. I was lucky to see it before its US release, and I was so pleasantly surprised by it. Loved pretty much everything about this flick and can't wait for the sequel.

Lesya said...

Indeed at some points it seemed live action. It's a shame Tintin is not an AA contender, maybe, because of that. Overall, it's a stunning animated film.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Lesya, indeed. I suppose this is the reason why the stupid members of the Academy didn't nominate it for Best Animation. Shame on them!