1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Friday, December 2, 2011

[7.75/10] La piel que habito a.k.a. The Skin I Live In (2011)


La piel que habito

a.k.a.

The Skin I Live In (2011)

Brief review: Worldwide renowned Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar is known for taking on difficult and controversial subject matters dealing with sexuality, and his latest project "The Skin I Live In" is no exception. This modern-day Frankenstein story may not be as emotionally involving as some of director's previous efforts, but it's a bizarrely unique and wonderfully twisted cinematic experience full of many twists and turns, that is as stunning as it's disturbing, and as compelling as it's shocking. At first, the narrative feels incoherent and a often messy, but that's exactly what Almodóvar has intended, because at the end everything comes into place so perfectly, you can't help but being impressed by the structure of the whole story and the way that it's being presented. Pedro Almodóvar's masterful direction and clever ideas compliment the magnificent storytelling and sophisticated visuals, and the end result is rather satisfying. Antonio Banderas delivers a fantastic performance as the 'mad scientist', obsessed by his disturbing creation, the stunningly beautiful Elena Anaya is absolutely mesmerizing in her role as Vera - the abused muse of Dr. Robert Ledgard, and the supporting cast all do an incredible job in portraying their brilliantly-written characters.

Overall summary: While definitely not one of Pedro Almodóvar's strongest and most accomplished achievements, "The Skin I Live In" is a strangely absorbing, subtly shocking and perversely unique arthouse drama, that goes where not many other films would dare to go.


14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

With Banderas? That's a unique role for him. Doesn't sound like my kind of film, but if it's on sometime I'll probably check out a couple minutes of it.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, you've never heard of this film before? Yes, it's with Banderas, and he shows another different side of him. Not sure if it's your cup of tea though.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

This is not unique for Antonio. He's made some very sexual Spanish films in the past that I've enjoyed. I'm going to look this one up, although his body doesn't look nearly as nice as it did in the film that I'm thinking about.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michael, it may not be unique for Banderas, but it's one of his best performances.

Unknown said...

Been wanting to check this out, seems like it should be a quite a different fare of cinema from your view of it. Think I'll watch it if I get the chance.

Thanks for this share George! :D

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

J-Son, I saw it at a special screening two weeks ago and was stunned by its perverse strangeness. Give it a shot if you have the chance and prepare to be shocked. :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

I sadly missed this one when it was in theater a few weeks ago. Hope to see it soon, heard and read lots of great things about it.

✗✗ said...

Ooo this sounds pretty interesting!! I will definitely have to go see this one. It's been awhile since I have seen Banderas in anything besides him being Puss in Boots voice in Shrek. Plus, things like "modern-day Frankenstein" and "twisted" is enough to get me to see a film, haha. Lovely review!

Unknown said...

Well, I love to be shocked and I think a woman as Frankenstein's monster is brilliant. Now if only we get to have a female mad scientist...Hmmm Maybe I should write one? ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, and I saw it at a special screening last month. It's not one of my favorite Almodovar movies, but it's still worth-seeing.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, it's just as interesting as it sounds. I think you're gonna love it. It's a twisted tale indeed, and the twist itself is rather shocking.

Thanks, sweetie. ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, you'll love it then. A mad female scientist? What a brilliant idea! Consider that for your next book... it will be hugely successful I suppose. ;)

Kaijinu said...

the poster on this film caught me. It has that "HEAVY METAL" magazine feel to it. If it's as good as you say it is, I'm definitely gonna see this!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kaijinu, I don't know your taste that well, but if you like bizarre and unusual films with a sick twist, you'll enjoy this one for sure. ;)