1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Friday, April 8, 2011

[6.00/10] Wake Wood (2011)


Wake Wood (2011)

Brief review: After some fantastic low-budget horror flicks like "Isolation" and "Dorothy Mills", Ireland offers yet another decent entry into the horror genre, aptly titled "Wake Wood". Why aptly? Because everything in this movie revolves around woods and awakening... awakening from death. The shocking and utterly bloody opening sequence draws you quickly into the story, and makes you hungry for more. The film moves at a rather slow pace, but it offers plenty of thrills and chills along the way, as well as plenty of graphic gore and some nasty scenes. "Wake Wood" obviously lacks a big budget, and the Irish scenery is typically flat, but David Keating compensates with skillful direction, gloomy settings and an atmospheric cinematography that fits the mood of the film quite well. Ella Connolly is cute as a button, but since her character is a pure evil, you just can't help but being scared of her. Eva Birthistle does a fantastic job as Alice's grieving mother, though her character is may be a bit too deluded and naive at times. Aidan Gillen plays the most interesting character of all - he's believable and likable, but at the same time there's something enigmatic about him... something you just can't figure out, well, until the very final scene.

Overall summary: Far from scary, and often predictable, yet somewhat original, pretty creepy and thoroughly effective, "Wake Wood" is bizarrely entertaining little gem of a horror movie, that proves Irish horror directors are a film-making force to be reckoned with.

10 comments:

FilmMattic said...

Good job man. You are rolling out these horror movies like Blockbuster is rolling out the bulldozers (I guess they're going out of business). This movie sounds like a great Friday night fright!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Thanks, Matt. Loved the comparison! You're full of wit, dude :)

Andrew said...

You said "Wakewood".....
Huh huh huh.

Great review!

Unknown said...

"...shocking and utterly bloody opening" I'm hooked right now. Nothing like a splattertastic opening to get a movie going. And who can resist evil in a cute package? Not me. In a horror film I'd be done in by deranged puppies and knife-wielding toddlers. :)

A witty, sharp and well-written review, sweetie. I loved it. :)

RaShelle Workman said...

Sounds like it could be good. Thanks for the review. It was awesome. =D

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Andrew, Wakewood is the name of the town, and Wake Wood is the name of the movie. ;) Got it?

Thanks, buddy ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, the death scene in the beginning was really gruesome.. you're gonna love it. :) "Evil in a cute package" is the best way to describe Alice.
"witty, sharp and well-written" - really? I thought it's one of my weakest.. I just didn't feel inspired enough. But, since you loved it, I'm fine with my lack of inspiration. LOL. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Hey RaShelle :) I thought you forgot about my existence. :) I'm joking of course ;) Glad you liked my review. Give it a shot.. it was good actually.

-Lou said...

I haven't seen a US release date for this yet but I'm looking forward to it. I'm glad to see Hammer getting back in the game.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Bleaux Leaux, I haven't seen a US release dat for the movie either, but I'm sure it will be released pretty soon, probably on DVD/Blu-Ray