1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Friday, April 29, 2011

[6.00/10] No Strings Attached (2011)


No Strings Attached (2011)

Brief review: The well known comedy director Ivan Reitman brings this highly enjoyable rom-com about life-long-friends-become-lovers, who try to keep their relationship strictly physical, though they soon realize they want something more than just sex. Yes, "No Strings Attached" is not without its flaws - it's unoriginal, overly predictable, and instantly forgettable, but nevertheless the movie provides a decent level of entertainment, laughter, and amusement to the audience, and it's sharp, sexy, and even naughty at times. Reitman is a very experienced director, he shows some diversity behind the camera, though his direction lacks focus in places, hence, the pacing loses its steadiness, and the movie drags a bit here and there. "No Strings Attached"'s main strength is its cast, and the Oscar-winner Natalie Portman in particular. Not only is she naturally stunning, but she proves yet again what a talented and amazingly versatile actress she is. Though this is an untypical role for her, Portman delivers a great comedic performance - she's sweet, funny, and utterly alluring as Emma. Ashton Kutcher's lack of acting skills is no secret, but he compensates with charisma and strong screen presence. On top of that, they both make an incredibly appealing couple.

Overall summary: "No Strings Attached" may be overly predictable and lacking in originality, but it succeeds in certain areas, thanks to its sharp and witty script, Reitman's typically solid direction, and Natalie Portman and Ashton Kutcher's incredible on-screen chemistry.

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Still not enough to entice me. Not a Kutcher fan.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, me neither, but I'm a fan of Natalie ;)

FilmMattic said...

It has Natalie, it has Natalie, it has Natalie. If you can't tell, I am a big fan of hers. She is smart, beautiful and talented. What more can one man ask for!?

I'll watch this film exclusively to see her in all her glory. Nice review buddy!

Unknown said...

This looks interesting and I might just give it a chance. I'm looking forward to the Mila Kunis, Justin Timberlake Friends with Benefits. Will Gluck is doing the directing and he has a real flair for contemporary comedy. He just did Easy A, which was hilarious.

I love Natalie, too. I'm glad to see her trying stuff outside her usual comfort zone. I like your style, my friend. Looking forward to your next review. :) Hugs and have an awesome weekend.

✗✗ said...

I feared it wasn't great. I'm not a huge fan of Ashton Kutcher's acting abilities but Natalie Portman is worth watching. I am surprised she signed up for this type of film and "Your Highness." I think I will rent it when it comes out. Worth a try.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Matty, yes, it has Natalie, and that's the best thing about it :) I'm a huge fan of hers, too. She's got it it all! :) Thanks, mate ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, it was average at best - nothing more, nothing less. I enjoyed it though.
I'm interested in "Friends with Benefits" too.. I LOVED "Easy A" - it was my favorite comedy of 2010.

Natalie was so out of her comfort zone, but she did a great job with this role. She was quit funny, actually.

Oh, thanks dear... I'm glad you enjoy reading my amateurish reviews.. I'm trying my best :)
Have a wonderful weekend too, hon. HUGS!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It was funny and nicely-executed.. even Ashton was decent in this one.

I know, right? :) I'm surprised she even signed up for "Thor". After her exceptional performance in "Black Swan", she should be more picky about her next roles.

HorrO said...

This movie definitely shows that Natalie can handle all kinds of roles. I liked the movie a lot more than I thought I would. Like you said, unoriginal but entertaining enough.

N4M3L3SS said...

+1 from blog hop cool blog

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, I absolutely agree - it shows another side of Natalie we haven't seen before.

Same thing here. I thought I'm gonna hate it, but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

N4M3L3SS, so you enjoyed it even more than I did? :) That's great.

Welcome to CineMarvellous!, buddy :)