1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, April 18, 2011

[4.25/10] The Roommate (2011)


The Roommate (2011)

Brief review: Obviously inspired by numerous thrillers from the 90s, "The Roommate" is a pretty standard fare about a deranged college freshman who becomes obsessed with her new roommate. If it was made 20 years ago, it would have been very successful, but in 2011, pretty much everything about this movie feels dated... the idea, the plot, the script, even the execution. However, the film's biggest flaw is not its overall datedness, but its failure to generate any tension, or to deliver thrills, chills, scares, and suspense. Technically, "The Roommate" is also very disappointing, due to Christiansen's unimaginative by-the-numbers direction, and the film's relatively plain visual style. The acting is the only area in which this film doesn't fail completely. Well, sort of. Minka Kelly not only looks stunning, but she gives a surprisingly decent , if a bit lifeless performance as the naive and kind-hearted Sara. Leighton Meester also does an okay job, and she's moderately disturbing in her role as the obsessive Rebecca, though her character is so stereotypical, it's hard to take her seriously. Most likely, Cam Gigandet has been cast more for his looks rather than his talent, and Billy Zane, while undoubtedly charismatic and talented, feels a bit out-of-place here.

Overall summary: Not only "The Roommate" suffers from its painfully hackneyed premise, weak script, sub-par acting and utter predictability, but it's neither scary or thrilling enough to be called a horror movie, nor suspenseful or intriguing enough to be considered a thriller.

14 comments:

Belbin9 said...

Creepy movie. I'm suppose to have a Roommate when I go off to college, now I need to rethink that

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sounded like Single White Female to me...

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Belbin, it wasn't very creepy, but still kinda disturbing. It's always frightening to know someone is obsessed with you.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, exactly! And like many others and much better thrillers, that were popular in the past.

HorrO said...

Minka is a lot hotter than she is a good actress. Leighton surprisingly broke away from her Gossip girl role to do an ok job. Cam sucks all around. Like you said, the movie never made you really feel the tension of the moment. I thought the movie would have been more interesting if it was more from Leighton's characters view than Minka's. Great review!

FilmMattic said...

Anything you rate under 5 is a no-go by my standards. Looks like this doesn't even deserve a trailer viewing.

Unknown said...

They should have just called this Single White Female and made no pretense of differentiation. I was bored with the entire thing from story to cast. Minka Kelly and Leighton Meester were so lifeless, I was tempted to check their wrists for a pulse. LOL

Excellent, incisive review. :)

✗✗ said...

I love 90's films!! I suppose if I pretend its 1995 I will enjoy this.... maybe haha. I have wondered about this film and it's great to know that the performances weren't necessarily bad. I'm not surprised that Cam Gigandet was probably hired for looks. He never impresses me for some reason. Great Post!!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, I absolutely agree! Minka is super-hot, but far from being a great actress. She did okay though. And so did Leighton. Yep, Rebecca was way more interesting character than Sara. It should have been her movie. Thanks, buddy :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Matty, a film rated 5 screams mediocrity... below 5 falls into the 'poor' category.

"this doesn't even deserve a trailer viewing." - LOL, you're funny :) It was watchable, despite its many weaknesses.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, LOL, I love your sarcasm, girl! :) Actually, I thought they both did okay. And while I agree it was kinda boring, I have to admit that I've seen much worse.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, if you pretend it's 1995 you might enjoy it a lot more. For today standards, it's a bit too old-fashioned plot wise. Cam Gigandet got the looks, but lacks the skills, that's for sure. I've never been a fan of him either. He's just a pretty face. Thanks, hon :)

Kaijinu said...

ugh..hate this film...what were they chewing when they made this?

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kaijinu, tell me about it. It was so lame.