1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

[7.25/10] Battleship (2012)


Battleship (2012)

Brief review: Hitting US theaters on May 18, "Battleship" is "Hancock" director Peter Berg's latest sci-fi flick, that may not win any awards for originality or strong writing, but will certainly deliver on its promise, which is to entertain all the action junkies out there. While its plot is quite by-the-numbers, and there aren't really any big surprises along the way, "Battleship" never takes itself too seriously, and uses its awesome ridiculousness to its advantage. The dialogues are often dumb, however, there's enough humor and funny jokes to make up for the overall silliness of the script. On a technical level, "Battleship" delivers and then some. The pacing is brisk, Peter Berg's direction is energetic, and the camera work is pretty impressive, featuring great variety of angles and moves. If you thought "Skyline" and "Battle L.A." had amazing special effects, wait to see the CGI work on this one. The alien ships are incredibly detailed and look as realistic as possible, and the aliens themselves are competently designed and somewhat cool, especially their shiny costumes (Imagine an Iron Man costume, but an advanced one). The action is epic, with each scene being more stupendous that the last. Taylor Kitsch, Liam Neeson and Brooklyn Decker all do their best with the given material, the supporting cast does a pretty good job as well, and pop star Rihanna is one hell of a badass chick here.

Overall summary: Sure, it's unoriginal and at times quite ridiculous, but "Battleship" manages to compensate with light humor, eye-popping special effects and startlingly explosive action scenes, and the end result is a brainless, yet immensely entertaining sci-fi popcorn flick.

14 comments:

Maynard Morrissey said...

Yay for Battleship! I knew you would like it. Wonderfully entertaining kick-ass popcorn-action-flick; I loved it :)

Maurice Mitchell said...

George, I'm so glad you gave this 7 stars! I'm secretly looking forward to it and you just gave me hope.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Harry, with a stronger script this could have been AMAZING, for what it it, it's just great. :) Liked it a lot too.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maurice, it ain't perfect, but it's insanely underrated by the critics. Give it a shot and prepare to be entertained. :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'm looking forward to seeing if Rihanna can actually act.

The NYC Film Chick said...

I've been so reluctant to see this, but people have been telling me it's worth a watch so I may have to go check it out.

http://thenewyorkcityfilmchick.blogspot.com/

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So great eye candy? I can handle that.

Parry Hotter said...

wasn't going to check this one out, but now I just might give it a go. :)

Unknown said...

Rihanna a bad ass? Hmmm...I could care less about the chicks in this movie, though. I'm only going for Taylor and the action. I'm so shallow. LOL

Great review, hon. You always give such a thorough breakdown and in a short, easy read, too. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michael, I was convinced she can't, but it turn out she actually can. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

NYCFilmChick, don't believe the grumpy critics. It ain't half as bad as they claim it is. Go see it. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, absolutely! :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Hans, at first I wasn't that interested either, but I ended up pleasantly surprised. It's dumb, but so much fun. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, yes, totally. I couldn't believe she's capable of that, but she actually gave a very believable performance in this one. Don't believe me? Check it out when it comes out. :)