1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Saturday, March 31, 2012

[6.75/10] The Awakening (2011)

The Awakening (2011)

QuickRating: It lacks originality and it's more creepy rather than scary, however, "The Awakening" proves to be more than just another ghost story - it's clever, stylishly-shot, intelligently-written, full of chilling moments, and has a fully satisfying twist ending you won't see coming. Visually, it flaunts an atmospheric, gorgeously murky cinematography and a beautiful, yet truly sinister setting, plus, Rebecca Hall turns in a fantastic performance here.


4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What would you compare it to? Like The Orphanage or The Others?

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, I loved both The Orphanage and The Others, the latter being one of my all time favorites. The Awakening is closer to the Orphanage. Not as great, but very good nonetheless.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed The Others and The Orphanage very much. I am very interested in seeing this one as well. Rebecca Hall definitely has her talents.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, I did too. The Awakening is not in their league, but it's still quite solid. I wasn't really that impressed with Rebecca Hall up until now. She did a fantastic job in this one and proved me wrong.