1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Saturday, December 31, 2011

[6.25/10] Carnage (2011)

Carnage (2011)

QuickRating: Although the entire movie takes place in a small, fancy New York apartment (hence it might bore those who can't stand limited settings), and it feels more like a stage play rather than an actual film, "Carnage" is nevertheless an enjoyable and amusing dialogue-driven black comedy, that succeeds because of its wittily-written script, Polanski's intelligent direction, and the hilariously brilliant performances from the A-list cast involved.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love stage plays and this film has intrigued me since I first saw the trailer. The cast features people I adore so that is the other big draw for me. I'm glad you liked it.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, I really did. It amused me, and the cast was incredible.

✗✗ said...

Honestly, this one may bore me. I may see this if it comes my way though since you had some positives about it. : )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, the dialogues are so clever and amusing, I doubt that you'll get bored that easily. The entire cast delivered.

Maynard Morrissey said...

oh, what a 'low' rating... I loved it, haven't laughed that much in a very long time.
I give it an 8 or even an 8,5

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Well, Maynard, I guess my criteria for rating films differs from yours.
A movie needs to be complex to get a high score from me, and Carnage definitely wasn't that complex. :)
It had the script, the cast, and the laughs, but it was lacking on a technical level. I felt like I was watching a stage play at the theater. :) Glad you enjoyed it that much though.

Maynard Morrissey said...

well, it IS a stage play... I mean, the adaptation of a stage play. I'm not a fan of real stage plays, but I love stage play adaptations, f.e. Polanski's "Death And The Maiden" or "Jo" with Louis De Funes.

Yeah, my rating criteria definitely differs from yours. I rate by instinct or by touch. Doesn't need to be that complex as long as I'm entertained or touched :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Harry, sometimes I also make compromises. :)