1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, October 31, 2011

Best to Worst Found Footage / Mockumentary Horror Movies Part 3: The Good



The Tunnel (2011)

Atmospheric, incredibly tense and utterly claustrophobic, "The Tunnel" may not be the scariest 'found footage' horror movie you'll ever see, or as innovative as its online campaign, but it's certainly one of the most finely-crafted and realistic mock-docs ever made.

My Rating: 7.50/10





Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

Effective, believable and at times brilliantly terrifying, "Paranormal Activity 2" is a rare sequel that not only complements the original, but also works on its own. It successfully feeds your fear, leaving almost everything to the imagination.

My Rating: 7.00/10





Quarantine (2008)

Although it's nowhere nearly as frightening and superbly-crafted as the original film, "Quarantine" is an above average shot-by-shot remake that delivers thrills, chills, scares and then some.

My Rating: 7.00/10







Evil Things (2011)

"Evil Things" is a completely underrated POV slasher flick with a supernatural twist, that shows a whole new different side of the 'found footage' horror sub-genre, and works perfectly thanks to its authentic originality, skillful camera work and brilliantly believable characters, plus, it's super-tense and actually scary.

My Rating: 7.00/10




"The Last Exorcism" is great character-driven horror/drama, that also succeeds as a mockumentary, because of its strong characters and storytelling, and its intense atmosphere.

My Rating: 7.00/10







Diary of the Dead (2007)

Shot in the effective POV style, "Diary of the Dead" the most satisfying movie George A. Romero has made in a long time, and also a solid, tense and scary zombie flick.

My Rating: 6.75/10

14 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Quarantine was effective!

venoms5 said...

An awesome write up, Nebular. I haven't seen either THE TUNNEL or EVIL THINGS, but I agree with the others. Except for QUARANTINE. It bored me to death. I suppose because it was a note for note clone of the superior Spanish original. Have you seen THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES by the way? Did it ever even get released? I had some good things about it a few years ago.

Michele (TheGirlWhoLovesHorror) said...

Only ones I've seen here are Quarantine and The Last Exorcism. Been arguing with Maynard about how since Quarantine is so similar to the original, how can it really be that bad? Last Exorcism was also a pleasant surprise. Like you say it had some great characters and was very effective.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, it was. You should definitely check out [REC], which Quarantine was based on, if you have the chance. It's way more scary and effective than Q.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

venoms5, thank you so much. I'm glad you liked the post. I didn't find Quarantine being boring. At all. :)

I've heard of THE POUGHKEEPSIE TAPES, but didn't have the chance to see it. I certainly will if I find it.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Michele, good point. I was wondering the same thing about those who hate Quarantine, but like [REC]. It's weird, huh? :)

Last Exorcism was a very pleasant surprise, and it worked on many levels.

✗✗ said...

LOVED The Last Exorcism and not just because Eli Roth produced it I genuinely liked it. It had an amazing build up to an unexpected ending. I was actually surprised it was good because I had initial lingering doubts.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I know you're a huge Eli Roth fan. And so am I. I'm really looking forward to his next project. "Last Exorcism" was great, though it left me wanting more.

Unknown said...

I actually enjoyed The Last Exorcism, however, demonic possession will always be The Exorcist for me and anything else is just weak tea.

Diary of the Dead... I forgot about this one. I'll have to dig it out and watch.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, I did too. :) The Exorcist is unsurpassable, no doubt about that.

You haven't seen Diary of the Dead? You should check it out as soon as you can. It's awesome!

HorrO said...

Here we good now. Yes, PA2 turned around my opinion of PA. Some people complain, but I liked Quarantine. I just hate that I saw it before REC. If I'm not mistaken, you got me to see Tunnel. Not bad, just wanted to see the creature! Don't get me started on The Last Exorcism! Great idea for the lists. Let me see how it ends!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

How could you hate the first PA, it was like nothing we've seen before. :)

Quarantine was so similar to the original, there's no reason not to like it if you loved REC.

Ah, I wanted to see the creature as well, and I was so pissed they didn't show it.

HorrO said...

What I hated about PA was that it started off trying to be so real, which was great. Then they introduced the back-story, and gave it a Hollywood ending. It bothered me. It took away from the reality of it. Then PA2 happened and I got sucked right into the back-story, so now I'm at peace with it (sort of). That is one reason I liked Blair Witch so much. It seemed real the entire time.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Good point, HorrO. Yes, the ending was a bit Hollywood-ish, but shocking nevertheless.

Blair Witch was sensationally scary and I believed every second of it.