1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, October 24, 2011

[6.50/10] Green Lantern [3D] (2011)


Green Lantern [3D] (2011)

Brief review: Based on the DC Comics character of the same name, "Green Lantern" tells the story of a test pilot, who is given a ring that grants him superpowers. Unsurprisingly, the film suffers from a poor, unimaginative script, and often feels rushed and contrived, but at the end of the day, who cares? "Green Lantern" is all about the action and the visuals! It won't be a lie if we call this a CGI-driven movie, since almost 60% of it is pure CGI. Believe it or not, even Green Lantern's costume is CG, but it's so slick and well-designed, you'd never guess it's not real. The eye mask looks super-silly though. Having said all that, the graphics are nothing short of amazing! The planet of Oa is stunning, as is the space scenery, and all the alien creatures look incredible, with supervillain Parallax being the 'wow' factor. The green tint of the visuals is mesmerizing, sparkly and beautiful, and the 3D effects are impressive. The action is fast-paced, exciting and often spectacular, with the final act of the film being the highlight. Ryan Raynolds is the true star of the show as the uber-cocky, yet loyal and likable pilot-turned-superhero, Peter Sarsgaard delivers bravura performance as the silently crazy scientist Hammond, and the rest of the cast does a pretty good job as well.

Overall summary: This superhero CGI extravaganza is rushed, thin on plot, and unnecessarily overproduced, however, thanks to its first-rate special effects, kinetic action scenes and fantastic use of 3D, "Green Lantern" still shines on the screen... just not as bright as we hoped for.

14 comments:

Ricky said...

I didn't see this one as I thought it's be the same story as the animated film Green Lantern: First Flight but it sounds slightly different so maybe I'll check it out.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Ricky, I saw it at the cinema 3 months later than its US release, and I'm so glad I did. It's nowhere nearly as bad as critics claim it is. The CGIs and the 3D rocked! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Reynolds was perfect as Hal. I'm a big fan of the comics and it felt just like the comic book. I'm looking forward to the sequel!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, yes he was. He did much more for the Green Lantern that the goofy Chris Evans did for Captain America. I've never read the comic book, but like the movie a lot.

Unknown said...

I really loved this movie. I thought Ryan was terrific as Hal and Blake did a much better job that I expected as Carol. Oa was spectacular and man, I wanted to be part of the Green Lantern Corps. I really hope there's a sequel because they tried too hard to fit too much in and I want a solid, one plot adventure this time. Terrific review and I absolutely agree with you on this.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, glad you liked so much, hon. Ryan was awesome.. and so fit, I was a bit jealous. LOL.
Its biggest issues was it felt so rushed, like you said, there was so much going on in those hour and a half. I'm looking forward to the sequel, and I hope it will be even better! Thank you so much, hon. You never forget to mention you like my reviews. It means a lot.

Dempsey Sanders said...

Glad to see this get a decent review from you, I really liked it, though yes certainly could of been less rushed. A movie definately worht seeing in 3d for a change

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Demps, I liked it a lot, too, yet we all agreed it was a bit rushed.
The 3D was excellent, and I really enjoyed it, watching it on the big screen.

Dempsey Sanders said...

I think 3D is starting to get much better now as there is much more demand and competition with it, was really glad to see that Green Lantern was worth the extra to see in that format.

Also, I have replied to your comment about the Gold Award rule, and it has now been changed, thanks for your input :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I agree, the 3D technology progresses more and more with each next 3D movie.

I read it already and thanked you. You made the right decision, Demps, I assure you! :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

A surprisingly positive review. Read loads of incredibly negative critics and the film itself was also a biiig flop.

I have no opinion about the movie. I'm not a comic fan and never heard of Green lantern before, so I'm not interested in watching.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, not a surprise for me :) Most critics hated it, but if you ask regular viewers, you'll receive mostly positive feedback.

✗✗ said...

First off, so happy to read your reviews again! I have been wanting to see this one even though I thought it might be a bit cheesy. However it sounds like it's worth a watch. I'm now excited for the special effects and of course Ryan Reynolds... : )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I'm so happy you're back! It's nice to read your comments again. "Green Lantern" wasn't as cheesy as I expected. It was actually pretty good. :)