1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

[4.25/10] Trespass (2011)


Trespass (2011)

Brief review: The mediocre director Joel Schumacher brings us another of his uninspired projects, and this time it's all about home invasion. Basically, "Тrespass" contains every single cliche ever used in any home invasion film, which makes it laughably obvious, often boring and constantly uninteresting to watch. Having said that, the movie is far from awful and it has its moments, but those good moments are very few and far between and overshadowed by the nastiness of it, and the unbelievable selfishness of its main male character. "Тrespass" is also aggressive and quite violent, but not in an entertaining sort of way, plus it's so loud and screamy, it may cause you a headache. Visually, "Тrespass" is an absolute lackluster as well. Although it's set in a big, modern, luxurious house, the cinematography is so dull and muted, and the lighting is so low-key, you'd wish you had a flashlight. Schumacher's direction is very straight-forward and lacking in versatility, which lets the film down even more. Aside from Nicolas Cage's unlikable character, the performances are great. Nicole Kidman delivers as the anxious mother, Cam Gigandet is surprisingly decent in his role, and Liana Liberato steals the show as the willful, yet clever daughter Avery.

Overall summary: Thoroughly predictable, annoyingly loud and often nasty, "Trespass" is a big bloody mess of a thriller that mostly relays on its A-list cast, but that cast, while capable, can't compensate for a cliched script, the lack of actual thrills, and the overall ugly nature of the film.

24 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

I don't really know who can consider Cage or Kidman an A lister any more though, neither have made a good movie in years, agree fully with your assessment, the only thing good about this one is you can use its dvd for a coffee table coaster..haha

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Schumacher hasn't done a decent film in a long time...

Mel Chesley said...

Well. I certainly won't see that one. Not much impressed with Mr. Cage these days anyway. Seems like he is taking whatever he can get to pay off the IRS. Can you say desperate?
Kidman is all right. Good post!

Maynard Morrissey said...

I usually enjoy Schumacher's movies but I think I'll skip that one, especially because of the boring-sounding plot and Nic Cage who gets worse and worse with every movie.

Life, Liberty and Accountability said...

i will not trust a movie made in the last 15 years with Cage and Kidman. that is a recipe for disaster lol

Dempsey Sanders said...

Shame it is predictable as you say, was looking forward to this, still might be a guilty pleasure for me.

Unknown said...

You don't hold back on your reviews. Well written. I'll be holding off on watching Trespass.

Unknown said...

Have not seen this one, but after your delightfully wicked skewering, I will avoid at all costs.

HorrO said...

I saw this on a free movie site and was thinking about checking it out. I guess I will pass now! Thanks for saving me some time, and maybe I will find something better to watch!

M.J. Fifield said...

I've never heard of this movie. And honestly, I can't remember the last movie Nic Cage was in that didn't suck.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Pat, by saying A-list, I mean widely popular actors, and though Cage is a weak actor, he's definitely well-known all over the world. I didn't like Kidman in the past, but now, after seeing most of her movies, I think she's very very talented.

Haha, you're so right. I wouldn't pay for the DVD, even if I intend to use it as a coffee table coaster. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, unfortunately you're so right. "Blood Creek" from 2009 is maybe an exception.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Caledonia, skip that one, it's definitely not worth it. I can't agree more with you about Cage. This guys needs cash desperately. :) Thanks!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Harry, I've seen worse from Cage, but the movie overall is just uninteresting. Have you seen Schumacher's "Blood Creek"? I actually enjoyed it a lot.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Kid, you have the right not to trust this movie. Nicole is a great actress, but her and Cage put together don't work very well.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Demps, is that really you? I can't believe you're back! I'm a bit shocked actually. LOL.
It's so predictable, you feel like you've written the script yourself. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Draven, I never do. :) Being painfully honest is so 'me'. :) Thank you so much for he compliment!
And, yes, avoid Trespass at all costs.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, it's in theaters now. Just stay away from it as far as you can, hon. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

HorrO, you'll find something better to watch for sure! :) Almost nothing about that movie worked.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

M.J., neither can I. :) Thinking of Cage equals thinking of a stupid movie. LOL.

Trespass is now in theaters. Be aware! Haha!

Isis Rushdan said...

I've been disappointed by Nicholas Cage's last few movies. So much so that it is a running joke in my house. When I saw the poster of him with Nicole Kidman, all I could do was shake my head. I didn't even have to read a blurb or see a commercial to know it was going to be far less than stellar.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Isis, it's all Cage's fault, because in the past 4-5 years he starred only in poor-to-mediocre movies and that ruined his career and people's sympathy for him. He obviously needed some cash. LOL.

He's okay in this movie, but his character is so selfish and unlikable, you'll hate him anyway.

Dempsey Sanders said...

ha ha lol. Yep, really is me, complete with new hair style lol. Sorry I have been away so long, I dedicate Mondays/tuesdays to blogging now, so you should see me appear much more often. Good to see your writing again , ive been aways far too long

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Demps, I love the new hair style. It's very fashionable and suits you quite well. I liked the old one as well, though it made you look like 20. :)

I'm excited and happy to see you back! I really am!