1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thursday, March 17, 2011

[2.75/10] Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (2011)


Big Mommas:
Like Father, Like Son
(2011)


Brief review: John Whitesell, who has directed the terrible sequel to the 2000's "Big Momma's House", has made another directional mistake yet again, by bringing the comedic garbage "Like Father, Like Son", which makes the original seem like a masterpiece. Not only this second sequel is ridiculously formulaic, but its script is so unimaginative, and lacking in wit, it fails to deliver any laughs or a single memorable line. The characters couldn't be more stereotyped, hence the actors struggle to deliver or to be funny, mainly because they try to force the laughs in rather than let them play out naturally. Martin Lawrence has lost a lot of his charm and charisma, as in this movie, he feels kinds spent, and not interested in what he's doing. Worst of all, he's incredibly unfunny as Big Momma, even when he tries his best. B.T. Jackson is a notch better in his two-faced role as Trent / Charmaine, but his efforts don't always work out as planned, as he's either phony or too over-the-top. Jessica Lucas as Haley is the only likable character, but sadly, she doesn't have much to work with. Technically, "Like Father, Like Son" is also quite poor, as John Whitesell's direction is generic and nothing-to-write-home-about, and the production values are incredibly low and uninteresting.

Overall summary: Unsurprisingly stupid and painfully unfunny, "Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son" is just as unnecessary as its dreadful predecessor, and without a doubt the worst movie of 2011 so far.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I have not seen a one of these and do not ever intend to. Not a Martin Lawrence fan and I hate most cross dressing comedies as they go right for the stereotypes. I mean, they don't even try to act or look like real women. Plus, the characters surrounding them are all unbelievably stupid.

Some Like It Hot with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon is a movie I watched for a class in college. Loved it. It's an intelligent and witty film about cross dressing men on the lam/undercover.

I loved your review, though. "...bringing the comedic garbage." LOL :) Spot on!

filmrruss said...

From what you say I was amazed that you gave it 3 stars! I look forward to missing this one completely!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, you should be happy that you've not seen any of the Big Mommas. They all sucked bad! The second one in particular is the worst of all.
As for the cross dressing comedies, I kinda enjoyed Hot Chick. It was moronic, but absolutely hilarious.

Never hear of "Some Like It Hot", but since you thought it was witty and intelligent, I might give it a shot ;)

Sweetheart, it was a comedic garbage indeed :) Thanks.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Russ, buddy, I gave the second a 2 out of 10, and since I thought this one was slightly better, thanks to B.T. Jackson, I decided to give it a 2.75 stars. Still not a 3 though :) Oh, and there were some okay moments... and a few funny jokes.

The Rapid Reviewer said...

@Nebular: I am stoked you gave The Hot Chick a shout out. I didn't think I would like it, but it is funny all the way through if you are in the right mood. Way better than some of the other movies put out by the Sisterhood of the Traveling Sandler Clones.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You trooper! You should get a medal for sitting through that trash.

✗✗ said...

Haha, that sounds about right! I can't imagine how you actually got through that! I have never seen any of the Big Momma films but your excellent review has confirmed why I never should. : )

Oh I will definitely give you a call if I get to meet one of those directors! One day.... I will meet one of them and you can join!! A girl can dream. ; ) You're so wonderful! I have had a couple chances to travel Europe but something always gets in my way, usually work, of course. It's just another "one day..."

Have a lovely day! : )

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

The Rapid Reviewer, I'm not saying that "Hot Chick" was good. It was absolutely idiotic! However, it made me laugh quite a few times, while this one didn't. So you agree with me that the chick wasn't that awful? :) So glad.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

:) Alex, I should. In fact I watched it only because I was hoping somebody would give me one. LOL! :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, dear, I've seen much worse than this one, and it was actually kinda watchable, but still terrible. LOL. You should be happy that you've skipped Big Momma's film. They all sucked.

Yey! So, I'm waiting for your call then... "some day" ;) Well, beautiful girls have beautiful dreams, right? ;) I've been only to several other European countries other than mine, but Europe is definitely a wonderful place and way different than the US. I hope you'll get a chance to visit 'us' very very soon.

Maynard Morrissey said...

probably one of the most unnecessary sequels ever shot. What was Martin Lawrence thinking?
I assume he needs the money so desperately, he even would shoot a few straight-to-DVD sequels, something like "Big Mommas: Triple Trouble", "Big Mommas vs. Superbabies" etc. :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, I couldn't agree more. It's unnecessary as its predecessor. Oh, and Martin Lawrence looked like an old fat lady in the movie.. without the costume.

LOL. Love those titles you predicted. Maynard, you're funny! :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

haha thanx, I try my best :)

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son said...

yeah this wouldn't be my first choice at the movies rentals- not to mention the cinema- but i'm guessing if you want brainless fun and just need to pass the time, why not.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, judging by your nickname, you must really like this movie. :)Yep, for brainless fun is okay. I've seen worse. ;)