1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

[6.50/10] Burlesque (2010)


Burlesque (2010)

Brief review:
Steve Antin's directional debut, "Burlesque", is about small-town girl, who moves to L. A. in order to fulfill her dream of becoming a singer and dancer. She quickly finds her place in a popular neo-burlesque club run by a former dancer, who changes her life. "Burlesque" feels contrived and rushed from the very beginning, and certainly does not have the most meaningful plot ever, but surprisingly, it ends up an incredibly refreshing musical, that delivers everything it promises in terms of fun and entertainment. The spectacular dance routines are unbelievably sexy and passionately-choreographed by Denise Faye, and the songs are wittily-written and stunningly-performed by Christina Aguilera and Cher, who both have an incredible, out-of-this-world vocal abilities. Add to this the beautiful sets, the lush staging, the lavish costumes, and the absolutely flawless lighting, and you get "Burlesque"! Acting-wise, it also succeeds. Christina Aguilera not only sings great, but she also delivers a surprisingly good performance as the talented and enthusiastic Ali. Cher owns the screen in every scene she appears, and Stanley Tucci gives a typically charismatic performance as the aging gay friend of Tess.

Overall summary: Forget about the superficial plot and the weak script, because "Burlesque" is all about the glitz, the glam, the dancing and the singing. And it's tons of fun!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked this movie, too. I'm a sucker for singing and dancing in the movies and I love Cher. Did I find the story all that great? Certainly not. It was horribly cliched to say the least, but it was nice to lose myself for a little while in some music and dance. Christina was not bad as Ali, I liked her performance.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So a lot of flash but not a lot of substance?

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I don't know if it was cliched, but it was very contrived. I'm not crazy about Cher, but I like her. Christina surprised me with her performance - she was quite okay :) Love her voice though.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Alex, absolutely!

Unknown said...

I thought it was not bad, as I watched on I find myself throwing my expectations out of the way and just allow my senses to be treated to the songs, dance and theatrical staging.

Oh yes, I did enjoy Aguilera!

Franco Macabro said...

Sounds like fun, I'll give it a rent!

M. Hufstader said...

I will give Burlesque this--the singing and dancing parts were amazing. And, when you go to see a musical movie, that's all you're really interested in anyway. Very sexy, very cute, I definitely approved. Plus, Stanley Tucci was all sorts of amazing. It would've been nice if the script had given the movie a little more substance, but I can't complain, I must let the bubble-gum movie be a bubble-gum movie and respect it for that.

✗✗ said...

Oh I must see it!! I was skeptical but it looks like I'm gonna have to watch it. At least for Cher's sake, I just love her!

Candice Frederick said...

hmmmmm ok. i may actually see this for the bells and whistles

Jaccstev said...

Zero interest in seeing this, but thanks for the review, buddy :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I expected it to be lot worse, but I was pleasantly surprised how decent it was. And both, Cher and Christina were incredible.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Francisco, it was quite entertaining actually. Give it a shot, I don't think you'll regret ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

M. Hufstader, well-said. For what it was, it was very enjoyable, without being over-the-top. Oh and it was definitely very sexy. ;) Thanks for the comment.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, I wasn't very enthusiastic about it either, but I ended up liking it a lot. :) It's a chick flick, so I suppose you're gonna enjoy it. ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Candice, put your reservations aside and give it a shot. It's loads of fun ;)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Jaccsy, see it with your wife. I bet you both are going to enjoy it :)