1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Monday, February 21, 2011

[6.25/10] Fritt Vilt III a.k.a. Cold Prey 3 (2010)


Fritt Vilt III

a.k.a.

Cold Prey 3 (2010)

Brief review: With such cinematic winners as "Dead Snow" and the more recent "The Troll Hunter", Norwegian filmmakers have proven themselves to be quite capable of doing good horror films, and this prequel-type-of-sequel to the popular slasher franchise, "Cold Prey", is yet another example. Yes, "Fritt Vilt 3" is basically 'more of the same' and utterly predictable, but its absolutely spot-on execution compensates for the lack of originality and fresh ideas. The cast of largely unknown young actors also deliver. Though inexperienced, they all do a great job in portraying believable characters, who react naturally under a variety of circumstances and situations. Ida Marie Bakkerud in particular, delivers a fierce performance as the lead character, Hedda. Although "Cold Prey 3" is hardly groundbreaking story-wise, it boasts technical excellence! The Norwegian mountain scenery is nothing short of stunning, and beautifully captured by Mikkel Sandemose's camera. He provide us with many spectacular panoramic landscape shots, some wonderful sunrise and sunset shots, and plenty of intensely-filmed and sinister night scenes. And all this is accompanied by Ari Willey's atmospheric cinematography, and Rønseth's sharp editing.

Overall summary: As stylishly-shot and well-acted as its predecessors, if slightly less chilling and effective, "Cold Prey 3" is a worthy prequel, that still manages to stand out on its own, despite its unoriginality.

13 comments:

✗✗ said...

I will definitely have to see this one! I know "Dead Snow" isn't remarkable but I just loved that film. I mean that scene with the intestines being used as a rope was so unexpected, which was awesome. Although, I've always been a sucker for anything Nordic or European for some reason. I haven't seen "The Troll Hunter" or "Cold Prey" so it looks like I have some catching up to do. Netflix time!
Have a great day!

Ricky said...

Haven't seen any of these films but plan to check them out.

Unknown said...

There's something to be said for a good formula. I love a decent slasher pic. Just saw the first one and had no idea there were two more. Thanks! :)

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Nicole, you should definitely check out the whole "Cold Prey" franchise - all 3 films are almost equally good, and quite stylish in terms of execution. Yep, "Dead Snow" wasn't unforgettable or anything, but it was definitely a breath of fresh air to the genre - a Nazi zombies? How cool is that! :)

Ah, "The Troll Hunter" was amazing, I haven't seen anything like it in my life. Give it a shot and let me know what you think ;)

Thanks, sweetie. Have a wonderful day too.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Ricky, you should give those a shot. They're all worth seeing.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Mel, really? :) Great! Now you have to watch the other two as well :) Did you like the first one?

Jaccstev said...

The two first films are some of the better horror stuff ever. I liked #1 a bit more, but together they are even better.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Jaccsy, I liked the first two quite a lot, though I found them too formulaic. However, execution-wise, they were quite amazing and better than most US slashers. I like them more as a whole too. Did you check this prequel, buddy?

Jaccstev said...

Checked this one and I second your opinion about it entirely.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

That's great! :) What about "Silent House"? If you struggle finding a link, let me know and I'll what I can do ;)

Jaccstev said...

Yeah.. I don't know but that one is quite difficult to catch :)

Maynard Morrissey said...

wtf it's already out? Can't hardly wait to see it, love the first 2 parts!

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

Maynard, yep, it's out! :) This one is a notch below its predecessors, but still very good. Looking forward to your CP3 review ;)