1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

[6.00/10] Date Night (2010)


Date Night (2010)

"Date Night"'s story is a cutesy, as it features a couple who decide to steal an invitation at a very upscale restaurant in New York City and almost end up paying their lives for it. This is a beautifully simple premise, and although the credibility with which it kicks off is not sustained, it still hangs together well enough to be thoroughly entertaining throughout its length. Tina Fey and Steve Carell have excellent chemistry, a match made in comedy heaven. Both handle lower key humor effectively. They seem like an actual couple and it's great to see them together on screen. Meanwhile, a stereotyped Ray Liotta is wasted in a minor part as an egotistical syndicate hood in cahoots with the shady district attorney. Mark Wahlberg is okay at what he does. James Franco and Mila Kunis appear briefly but make quite an impression as a low-life duo named Taste and Whippit. "Date Night" comes from director Shawn Levy, who you may be familiar with from the "Night at the Museum" movies. And in a similar manner there are some quality action comedy derived moments to go along with witty ingenuity. There is a stunt that involves two cars fused together, that provides laughs and thrills. If "Date Night" was any longer, it would have dragged, but thankfully the snappy pacing coupled with a relatively short running time of 88 minutes was perfect for this type of comedy.

  • My Rating: 6.00/10
  • Rotten Tomatoes: 68% (6.2/10)
  • IMDb: 6.8/10

4 comments:

Jaccstev said...

Simply a showcase for two of the funniest people working in show business today, but I also think that Carell and Fey certainly deserve a more better material.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll probably watch it just because I like Steve Carell.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

I agree. They both did their best with the material they were given to work with.
I fell in love with Tina Fey, since I watched her in "Baby Mama". She's a natural born comedian :)
Carell is fine, but not one of my personal favorites.

George Beremov [Nebular] said...

If I have to choose between Carrell and Fey, I'd definitely choose Tina Fey! She's so hilarious! Her facial expressions during comic situations and her crisp, witty gags always make me laugh hard :)
Alex, you certainly have to watch this. I promise you'll be entertained :)